BICYCLE LIGHTS LAW REQUIREMENTS IN New York
The following equipment is required for bicycles according to Section 1236 of the Vehicle & Traffic (VAT):
- A white front lamp visible from at least 500 feet during the period from one-half hour after sunset to one-half hour before sunrise.
- A red/amber light visible to the rear for 300 feet, with at least one light visible for 200 feet from each side starting from July 1, 1976.
- A bell and/or other device capable of giving an audible signal for at least 100 feet (sirens or whistles are not allowed).
- A brake that can make the braked wheels skid on dry, level, clean pavement.
- Reflective tires or a reflex reflector mounted on the spokes of each wheel, with a colorless or amber reflex reflector mounted on the front wheel and a colorless or red reflex reflector mounted on the rear wheel.
- Reflective devices or material meeting the commissioner's established standards during the period from one-half hour after sunset to one-half hour before sunrise.
*Disclaimer: The information provided is for general informational purposes only.